Songwriter for Britney Spears Hits Out at Critics

A songwriter on Britney Spears' new album "Femme Fatale" has jumped to defend the pop superstar against criticism suggesting she didn't write any of the lyrics.

celebrity gossips
The singer has been a part of the songwriting process for at least one track on each of her last five discs, contributing the most to her 2003 project "In the Zone," including her Madonna duet, "Me Against the Music."

Spears is not credited as a writer on any of the tunes from her seventh studio album, prompting some detractors to take aim at the singer for relying on the talents of others to produce hits for her.

But collaborator Heather Bright, who co-wrote Femme Fatale's "Trouble for Me," insists few pop stars actually come up with their own lyrics and Spears should be applauded for not forcing her songwriters into giving her credit just so she can take a cut of the royalties.

In a post on her blog, Bright writes, "I would just like to address one thing! The media is talking trash about how Britney didn't write any of the songs on her album ... HELLO! Wake up everybody! NONE OF THESE ARTISTS WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS!!!!!! (there are a few exceptions ... lady gaga, will.i.am/BEP, chris brown is starting to write a lot of his own stuff...)

"Anyway... Britney could have come to me, like all these other A-list artists, and said ... 'Hey, you wanna be on my album? I'm gonna need writing credit for that song AND part of your publishing (royalties) even though I didn't write anything! And then I'm gonna go on tour and gross $150 million in ticket sales and not give you any of that, even though I'm performing your song!' I could rattle off a laundry list of artists who I've had that conversation with!"

And Bright has nothing but praise for Spears and her creative team.

She adds, "Britney's one of the few artists I've worked with who didn't try to take something that wasn't hers. In my experience, from a business standpoint, her entire team is nothing less than a bona fide class act!"

Leave a Reply